Sunday, March 21, 2010

Warm marble .....

I don't know if I should write about this or not, because for some reason it makes me feel a little awkward. But hey - this is all about experiences and I had an interesting morning which involved taking the kids with me to the cemetery as I tidied up my mother's grave. Something I have never done before. Of course I would remove old flowers and refill the little water pot things, but not actually taken water and a brush to it. 

It's really amazing how time leaves it's mark on things. There was dirt and dust and little bits of moss growing in cracks. It was all starting to look shabby and would depress me even more when I went out there. It was starting to look like it (she) was forgotten and like no one cared. Anyhow, I scrubbed away and the kids went crazy climbing on things. The kids love it when we go to the cemetery - it's kind of macabre really. They just want to climb on graves and even lay down face first on the marble that is warm from the sun. Luckily my mums grave is in quite a secluded and isolated spot so it was just us. Nothing was broken, and they mean no disrespect at all. 

Once I had finished it all looked so much better.  It was almost like wiping away all the years since she has been gone and it all looked brand new and in a strange way it felt good - like I had done something for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment