Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Even the dog conspires against me .........

If I had my way I would live out of suburbia. I've never been someone who likes the city very much, or crowds of people, the hustle,  the bustle and all of that. It's not that I think Ballarat is a huge city - I don't, but I really just want some space and quiet and a little veranda I can sit on and breathe in a view.
I feel happier and calmer when my view includes either a paddock or two and some hills, or some bush - not a road, or someone else's yard. I can't help it, it's just the way I am. I want chooks, a big veggie garden, a couple of fruit trees and somewhere you can see a lot of the sky - to be not closed in by houses. I would love for the kids to grow up with a better connection to the earth and the peace that comes with living out of town.


A few months ago in an attempt to sooth my innate need for a country life I started our veggie patch. It wasn't very big, but at least I could grow a few things and enjoy it. I could show the kids how things are grown and we could pick herbs and things for the kitchen. 
Then we got a dog.


My beautiful veggie patch with tomatoes, peas, beans, celery, herbs, strawberries and salad greens quickly turned into the best place for the dog to dig and worst of all - to poo! What is with that??? This dog has the entire back yard  - it chooses my veggie patch. It was my one little patch of paradise in our yard. I haven't been able to harvest a thing since. I can't even think about it. I now have tomatoes about to ripen on the vines and the thought just makes me ill. So... it can all just stay there. .
One day, I hope, I will get my little bit of earth with a view. I will treasure it, even if I have to build a big old fence around my veggie patch. In the meantime I'll just grow some weeds amongst my wasted tomatoes and the dog can do whatever the heck it wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment