Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas



I love Christmas, I always have. Now I'm older I have an obsession with tree decorations.
I friend of ours gave us a great idea and every year now I take the kids and they can choose a special new tree decoration each (and I choose 5 or so). When and if they leave home they can take all these mementos of their childhoods with them. I know I still remember particular tree decorations on our tree from when I was a kid. A blue and red bird especially and it was also so nice decorating the tree every year and opening that box of decorations.


This year is a little more exciting as Bugs has a much better concept of Christmas. I don't think he understands that tomorrow is Christmas, and he will get presents etc, but he recognises Christmas 'things' such as Santa. I've been trying to help him understand by counting down the days with the use of an Advent Calender. Every day he's been opening a day and he gets his little chocolate. I'm so proud of him too - that calendar has been hanging up for 24 days now and he hasn't pinched a single chocolate!!! Now that's self control! Tomorrow morning I know when he gets up and opens his presents he will be excited to see them, in the past he hasn't really cared even for presents as his interests were so narrow. He would be more interested in shutting and closing a cupboard door continuously, or whatever other compulsions and little obsessions he had going. He would unwrap the firetruck and head straight back to whatever he was doing. This year however he has come out of his own little space enough that I am really looking forward to seeing how he reacts to his presents and tomorrows events. The other thing he has been doing a lot is breaking out humming 'Jingle Bells' all the time. Very cute.


Ellie is going to have a BIG day tomorrow. She's been running around saying 'Kissmass' for Christmas everytime she sees a bit of tinsel. I can't wait to see her reaction too as last year she had just turned 6 months and was too little to enjoy the day, I think if anything it was just pretty exhausting for her.
After opening the presents with the kids in the morning we are taking Lachlan's mum out to my aunt and uncles for Christmas day. It will be nice to all be together as usually we have to sort out who is going where and to what with both sides of the family.
Anyhow... I better go and wrap some more presents.
Merry Christmas to you. Have a great day tomorrow.

1 comment: