Monday, February 1, 2010

Returning .....

It's the first day back at school after a loonnngggg school break.
It's easy to feel guilty when saying how hard holidays are and how much easier life is when Lachie is going to school - but it's just the truth.


It's easier on me as I aren't so torn between chasing him and paying attention to his sister. It's easier as I don't have to work out how to entertain him all day. The truth is unless he is out on our trampoline there is nothing here that interests him, or occupies him other than eating food or pacing the space between the computer and the couch. I can drag out pencils, paint, and playdoh and his concentration only lasts for 10 minutes or so - it makes me feel guilty as he isn't enjoying himself, and it's super hard work trying to keep him from being frustrated. Life is also easier for Lachie when he is going to school. He has a predictable routine, full of interesting and new things to try and learn and he LOVES it. He has never hesitated or not wanted to get onto the school bus once since starting school and runs onto the bus each morning. His behaviour and confidence has also improved. All I hope for him this year is that he has a good relationship with his new teacher and continues to enjoy school. Fingers crossed.
I can't wait to see him get off the bus, to see if he is happy and if there is a message in his communication book about his day.


On another note - I have been pretty good about making time for 'me' lately and have to say I'm feeling so much better about having some kind of a life. Sometimes it can literally feel like I've vacated and all that is left is a kiddie slave and someone to keep Lachie under control. Anyhow, big Loch has been doing the kids bath routine, during this time the dog and I have been walking of a night, I have recently been finding some time to catch up with friends (thanks for this morning Anna and Braeden!) AND ..... as Lachie takes such a long time to fall asleep I have worked out also that if I use a book light I can sit there - not focus on his tossing and turning and getting frustrated by the time it's taking - and just read away happily. I can't believe I haven't thought of it sooner. I'm starting to look forward to the hour or so it might take for him to fall asleep now - I can just get back to my book!
Anyhow, I hope to keep it up. Even if I can do just one thing a day that I can call mine - I've made an improvement and maybe I wont be such a grumpy mum / partner / person.

4 comments:

  1. Hope that Lachie had a great day at school! We should make it a regular thing to catch up and be normal Mums..! Love the reading idea while Lachie goes to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We absolutely should - and I think Ellie and Braeden might like that too:-). Let me know when you want to catch up again.
    Lachie had a great 1st day according to his book and he's in a great mood so it must have all went ok!
    Hope Ryley had a fun day too and is feeling ok.
    Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad Lachie had a good day! Ryley came home with a temperature and apparently had fallen over and hurt himself. So was very miserable this arvo. Hopefully he is ok tomorrow.
    And I think Ellie and Braeden would love it too. Maybe once a fortnight or something like that we can catch up on a Monday for a coffee and a play?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no - sounds like Ryley had a s**t first day back! Excuse the language. :-( I hope he's ok tomorrow morning and has a much better day. We would love it if we caught up once a fortnight for a play and coffee - and if ever we have our other kiddles and still want to catch up we can have a play at one of our houses if you like. I really hope Ryley is ok and you all get a good sleep tonight. Take care.

    ReplyDelete